REFLECTOR: Donations

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Fri Jul 31 10:22:48 CDT 2009

I know most of us get this, but there was some chatter regarding this
matter a few weeks back. FYI
TEC

Quiz Me
Here's a  question asked by an AOPA member who contacted our aviation
services staff  through the AOPA Pilot Information Center. Test your knowledge.
Question: My child's school is holding a silent auction, and they have
asked the  parents to donate items to support the school. I would like to donate
an  airplane ride in my aircraft. I will be paying for all expenses
involved with  the flight. Will I need a commercial pilot certificate for this?
Answer: No. Passenger-carrying flights for the benefit of a charitable,
nonprofit, or community event are not considered commercial operations, so you
 don’t need to have a commercial pilot certificate. For an event such as
this, _FAR 91.146_ (http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=18326)  requires
 the pilot to have a private pilot certificate with at least 500 hours of
flight  time, have a current medical certificate, and meet the currency
requirements of  _FAR 61.56_ (http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=18327) .
The flight  must begin and end at the same public-use airport and be
conducted within a  25-nautical-mile radius. The aircraft must have a standard
airworthiness  certificate. Also, you must furnish information required in the
regulation to  the local flight standards district office (FSDO) a minimum of
seven days before  the event (not the flight). Learn more in AOPA's subject
report about _Charitable/Nonprofit/Community  Events_
(http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/charity.html?WT.mc_id=090731epilot&WT.mc_sect=qzm) .
Got a  question for our aviation services staff? The AOPA Pilot Information
Center is a  service available to all members as part of the annual dues.
Call 800/872-2672,  or e-mail to _pilotassist at aopa.org_
(mailto:pilotassist at aopa.org) . Send comments on  our Quiz Me! questions to _pilotass
ist at aopa.org_ (mailto:pilotassist at aopa.org) .
Picture