REFLECTOR: Franklin Magneto/inspection/priming questions

Jeff Clough jclough48 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 08:23:28 CDT 2009

 FINALLY getting around to hooking up my Franklin engine to hopefully
test fire it soon......a few questions:
  1:   I have Rose dual ignition....am planning on using 1/2 of this set
up for one set of spark plugs and a magneto for the other set of
plugs....what magneto               are others using and where can I get
one????
 2:  How did others route/support their ignition wires through/under the
Franklin plenum....got any pictures you can send to me off Reflector ??
 3:  I purchased my engine new from Pat Goodman back in about 1997 (I
think).....He had test run it, but it has not been run since then.  I
removed the plugs              and put oil in the cylinders several time
over the ensuing years , the engine has been in a hangar here in DRY
Colorado or in my heated garage in Alaska         in the subsequent
years....should it be inspected or have gaskets replaced etc????  I
think there are some Franklin pros in Ft Collins CO (about 1 hour
      away)...should I pull the engine off (again) and take it to them
for inspection/servicing or should I run it for a while on my airframe
(break it in on my                      airframe  while on the ground
and then (perhaps?) have it inspected/serviced ??
4:   I currently DO NOT have a priming system......is it necessary to
have one or will the engine start w/out it just by cranking a bit
longer???  If I need a priming           system , is there a packaged
system available??

Thanx for all your input(s)       Jeff C      Brighton CO     173RG
Clamshell  IVO Franklin