REFLECTOR: Oil Type

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jul 29 09:12:26 CDT 2009

Tom wrote:
> Chuck, what you say makes sense to me. I waited for the main guru at
> Lycoming booth at Sun-N-Fun 2 years back to ask his help on
> chronically hot oil temps. That was his response, no I didn't press
> him for a technical explanation sorry..Tom
> Someone at Oshkosh could probably get one from them.

My experience with Lycoming and Continental when talking about
experimental installations is they don't like to say much.  The usual
response is "That won't work", or "I can't say".   In general they don't
like experimental installations.  Maybe the guys that work OSH are more
sympathetic.

Anybody know how much oil is pumped through the cooling lines for
lycoming and continental engines??  Once you have the flow rate,
calculating the pressure drop is pretty easy.

Looking at a standard aircraft oil cooler, I would venture that the
pressure drop through the cooler would far out weigh the drop in the line.

Scott