REFLECTOR: Oil Type, now line length

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 11:13:37 CDT 2009

In a message dated 7/28/2009 6:59:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cjensen at dts9000.com writes:

I don't know that that is a provocative statement, but it's certainly
intriguing.  For instance, if the oil pump on an IO-540 is expected to put out 70
psig, the pump does not know whether there is 2' or 30' of oil line down
stream of pump, or whether it is flex or rigid tubing.

Check out any "friction loss" formula or calculator (google it).  You'll be
amazed.  I fought this years ago, Tom is correct.  Install a second cooler
in the back with shorter lines (in parallel) and be done with it IMHO.  The
true maximum oil temperature is 50 or more degrees hotter in some parts of
the engine than the oil temp shows.  This is why moisture is boiled off/out
of oil even though the indicated temperature is only 190 degrees or so.
Running at 220 all day can equate to 275, or more in various parts of the
engine.  I run at 187-190 with an IO-360 with 10-1s and two coolers.  Never get
over 205 in a hard climb.  As a side note, ceramic coating the piston tops
helps on oil temp.
TEC
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377107x1201454434/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul