REFLECTOR: Hardening Hardener

Brooke Wolf bwolf1 at tds.net
Sat Jul 25 16:37:32 CDT 2009

I know this has been addressed before on this forum, but I am  having
a problem with hardening hardener.

All of my hardener is less than 2 years old.  It is from the Velocity
Factory.  I keep some hardener in a 85 deg box.  I have been away from
my project for 3-4 months.  Now, I noticed that it is getting a little
thick, somewhat like a gooey tar.  I  tried heating it by putting the
gallon jug (with less than a quart of hardener in it) in water at 150
deg.  I let the hardener get to about 130 deg for about 15 minutes.
The heating certainly made it more viscous, but as it cooled it got a
little thick again.....but not as thick as before.  I don't have much
confidence in the heating trick.  What did I do wrong?

Just for grins, I checked on two jugs of hardener which have been
sitting in my basement for 2 years.  The temp down there stays a
pretty constant 70 deg.  Much to my chagrin, both jugs seem to have
solidified into a crystalline mush.  Any ideas?!!

Brooke