REFLECTOR: Velocity at OshKosh

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 19:02:43 CDT 2009

Velocity will be displaying - North Aircraft Display Area - in its long
standing location.
We were late in getting our application into Osh - missed the map locator
deadline.
Velocity joins many other aircraft vendors in holding off their decision to
attend Osh.
Those who are not aware, booth space is $1000 a day.  We will spend close to
$30K to cover people, transportation, housing, meals, display space, etc.
During these tough financial times, trust me, that's a lot for 7-days of
trade show advertising.
Like many companies we want to spend our advertising dollars most
effectively.  $30K will buy a lot of magazine advertising.  KitPlanes; EAA
Sport Aviation; and other publications offer better product exposure in our
opinion.  We debated the merits of going to Sun 'n Fun and Osh - and in the
end felt that consumer confidence would be shaken if we missed these events.
Companies such as ours become conspicious by their absence.  We understand
this - and in fact, join others in wondering "what's happening" to the other
compnay when they no longer attend an event (i.e. Lancair at Sun n Fun this
year).  I feel the time will come (soon) that vendors will elect to say,
"The heck with the high cost of attending Osh or SnF.  We're staying home
this year and spend our advertising money elsewhere".   We're about at that
point.  If SnF and Osh raise their rates again next year, the decision will
be made easier.
SB