REFLECTOR: Batteries

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:47:43 CDT 2009

I am going to tack on to what Jim has said here.  I have a pair of 925s that
is run to isolated buses for pre-flight and start up ground ops.  I then
switch to parallel ops when the alternator is on line.  I have the batts
over on their side and worry about the bolts getting loose w/ vibration.
The metal is very soft so you can't honk down on the torque with abandon,
and there is not a lot of working space to fit a wrench.

Ditto too on planning for access for ground charging, and for relative ease
of removal/replacement out the top hatch as Jim points out.  As everyone has
pointed out the 925 has plenty of power, but remember if you use the lighter
skytec starter you have to get something like 10v back to the starter coil
so it can do it's thing and port all that juice to the starter itself.  I
have had trouble in that department.

Terry