REFLECTOR: 6 Cyl. Lightspeed Ignition

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 20:18:49 CDT 2009

I mounted both of my boxes on the cabin side of the firewall so no cooling
is necessary. I regret using dual Lightspeeds. I wish I had put a magneto on
the bottom plugs for peace of mind and for a simpler installation. I don't
notice any RPM drop when I switch off one of the ignitions, and Klaus says
the engine runs great on just one box. The literature says you get an
additional 5% hp by using two boxes, but I don't believe it. And with dual
Lightspeeds you need an extra battery dedicated to ignition backup and other
additional wiring. It's a little complicated and a nuisance. I've got to
admit that the engine starts and runs great, though. If I lean too much, the
engine just quits-- no running rough to give you any warning. (It's kind of
scary when that happens. I need to watch it.)

Why don't I pull one of the boxes out and install a Slick magneto for the
bottom plugs? I was so sure I never wanted to put a magneto on my engine, I
ordered it with 12 mm bosses (automotive spark plugs) on all 8 cylinders. I
guess I could get them machine out to 14 mm if I wanted to.....

Doug Holub
N2980W 2009 Standard FG w/ 63 hrs