REFLECTOR: Fuel shut-off valve location

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 11:15:57 CDT 2009

For all of you looking for a fuel shut off valve I suggest that you get a two way valve and mount it backwards, that is so you have one in and two out.  This is a great feature since in one direction you have engine fuel flow and in the opposite direction you have a fuel drain connection/shutoff. You need to cap off the drain connection so you cannot accidentally drain fuel into the airplane.  Uncap the drain, attach a drain hose and open the drain side and gravity will let you drain the tanks.  Very handy for maintenance.

I have used an electric operated valve for many years with no problem.  Before you all dump on me about the valve see the description at

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=subsystems%2FElectric_Fuel%20Valves

The motor driven screw drive valve requires NO power to hold its position and takes about 250 MS to transfer.  I use the fuel tank switching to drive a red flashing led to indicate the off position and a standard toggle switch with a "toilet seat" protector that requires you lift it to change the switch position.

Jim

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying