REFLECTOR: elevator balancing

Bruce Topp bdtopp at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 21:19:13 CDT 2009

Barry,

I have had a couple of conversations with Velocity on this topic as I had an
issue with getting my elevators balanced properly.  What was recommended,
and, worked for me was to balance the elevator with the sparrow strainer on.
However, I removed the trim spring and hardware that mounts the trim spring
to the elevator torque tube.

A couple other suggestions that may or may not apply to you.  I had to
remove the elevators from the canard in order to balance them.  Some folks
balanced while mounted to the canard (and loosening the hinge screws).  This
was not accurate enough in my case.  You are suppose to balance the
elevators with the cord line level.  So....with the elevators upside down
(on or off the canard) balance the elevators so that the trailing edge is 7
degrees up. This will be very close to giving you a level elevator cord
line.  If you draw a cord line on your elevators, and, look at the geometry
of the elevator, this will make sense.

Good Luck.

Bruce
XL-FG