REFLECTOR: Who took this pic

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 23:23:19 CDT 2009

Well, that is not what you said:?

"At 30,000' you are normally looking down @ 80% of thunderstorms in the southwest with the other 20% somewhere higher".?

You did not say that you were looking down at 80% of the cell of a ts.

As you know, in our jobs,saying what you mean is quite important. It is also easy to loose in E-mail translation.?

I have seen far too many people claim or advertise that you can get above the weaher at "X" altitude.. and they are usually off by 50%.

Just trying to clarify.? :) It definately looks like they are well below the FL300 advertised. I hope to find out how high my V will go pretty soon.

KW

Dear Controller, I am seriously right....at 30,000' you are looking down at about 80% of the cell of the thunderstorm. Not implying that 80% of the thunderstorms top out below 30,000'. My experience with 7,000 hrs flying around thunderstorms in the southwest says as you say the tops are usually 37 to 42,000, with occational superstorms going well above 60,000.? This picture from this angle , ie; near the bases, looks like an average every day new Mexico thunderstorm, definately not a mid west super cell.