REFLECTOR: Nose wheel shimmy drag

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 11:41:33 CDT 2009

Hi Al,

After many years with the nylon washer I can tell you that they work well.  However my washer is about .250 thick and you remove the old composition washer and use it as a template to drill the hole in the nylon washer to accommodate the pin that keeps the washer from rotating on the gear strut and put  the Belleville washer back in.  As far as the machining marks go they will wear off as the new nylon washer seats and will require re-tightening the lock-nut as it seats. In a short time the adjustment will be minimal.  You will probably find that after seating the wear surface is not flat but wears at a small angle.

Jim

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying