REFLECTOR: Belleville washers

John Youngblood aqcs at comcast.net
Sat Jul 4 19:21:27 CDT 2009

Terry,

I'm going to a castle nut and cotter key in lieu of the nylon nut.  I
had significant shimmy on a landing in April and broke the strut at
the bottom of the "taco" weld.  The incident caused a hole in my
fuselage, one in the wing and ground down my nose substantially.  The
nut came loose after three flights.  I'd recommend checking it before
every flight.

Further investigation found the strut had not been heat treated after
welding the gussets (tacos) on.  Rockwell hardness around the weld
joints was 57 on the "C" scale.  The rest of the strut was 42!  I
understand a 57 hardness on 4130 steel is "glass brittle".  You may
want to check the heat treat of your strut near the welds.

I understand, if you always have good landings and experience very
little shimmy, an improperly stress relieved NLG strut will probably
be ok.

John