REFLECTOR: IVO motor

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Jul 2 07:40:57 CDT 2009

A local Velocity with IVO was having problems reaching the limits too.

The first time which was several years ago, the motor was sent back and
repaired.  Exact cause unknown.

This last time about a year ago, was a different cause related to
voltage drop getting to the motor.

1) attach voltmeter to battery+ and motor +.  Engage pitch motor, and
write down your voltage drop.
2) attach voltmeter to battery - and motor -.  Repeat as above.
3) read voltage across battery unloaded.

Add the voltages from 1 and 2.  Subtract from 3.  This is the amount of
voltage getting to your IVO motor.  If it's below 9 volts, begin chasing
down the large voltage drops in the system.  You may have a corroded
connection somewhere.

Take a battery and with short jumpers (2-4 feet total wire length),
connect it directly to the motor to see if the motor will actuate to the
full throw.  If not, there's something wrong with the motor.  The acme
rod may have some damage or debris in it.