REFLECTOR: Splitting Flying Costs

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Jul 2 06:53:26 CDT 2009

I'd like the opinions of the various legal experts in this group on the
following theoretical scenario (illegal novices chime in also).

Let's say the plane is a Cessna owned by a flying club, whose charter
purpose is to promote aviation.  Let's say that the club operates a
public fund raising event.  During the event the club elects to waive
the usual operating fee of the airplane in the interest of promoting
aviation.  Other rules remain in effect, such as the plane must be flown
by a full member with a private pilot certificate and all occupants must
be club members.  The club offers introductory 2 month associate
memberships for $20 (associate memberships are for those not qualified
to fly a plane).  Several people become associate members and
participate in a free flight.  Has there been any wrong-doing?

John