REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil temp.

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 13:47:56 CST 2009

Jerry,

I've been flying a standard elite RG with a Franklin engine for
10 yrs +.

I have one nose oil cooler and in Florida, I can takeoff and climb
straight to 6000ft without the oil temp going over 210F.

In New York during the winter, It would take 10 to 15 minutes
for the oil temp. to reach 104F.

As recommended by Franklin some years ago, I replaced the spring
in the vernatherm valve and replaced the oil lines with 5/8 aluminum
lines. The temperature sending unit must be installed just before
the oil re-enters the engine (Front connector closes to the prop. )
I also split the single plenum into two separate plenums, this
drastically reduced CHT temps, which also reduced oil temps,
Takeoff should not be started until the Temp. reads 104F.

I would suggest that you put the sending unit in a pan of water
with a oven temperature gauge, and check that it is giving you
the correct temperature reading.

--
Mike W.
1997 Velocity Elite RG