REFLECTOR: Parking brake

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sat Jan 24 11:57:20 CST 2009

David,

A parking brake does not come standard, by it's highly recommended.  Matco (Aircraft Spruce) make an inexpensive dependable brake that can be actuated with a little push-pull cable.  You plumb your lines into it and when it is set on 'brake', actuating the brakes will pressurize the line from the Matco valve to the brakes and hold pressure.  Or, you can actuate the brakes and then shut the Matco valve.

At one time parking brakes were discouraged; it was thought if the brakes were pressured and locked, and later in the day it warmed up, that it might over-pressurize the brakes.  Great theory but it's not a problem in practice.  I can set my brake and come back a week later and they are still locked.

Hint.  Set up your cable so that pushing the knob in releases the brake and pulling it engages the check valve.  If you reverse it and you happen to bump the knob in while in flight, then when you actuate the brakes on landing they will stay locked up....not good.

Chuck Jensen