REFLECTOR: Insurance

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:47:07 CST 2009

Brian,

Here.  Read the attached.  Too bad Ronnie's not with us anymore.  He was
good at this.  I am proud to pass his advice along.  He'd want that.

Hey, we have all been there.  It gets real expensive at the end, and then
you have to buy all the flight test gas.  The EAA tech visits are more for
the DAR not the insurance co.  Nobody wanted to cover me for the first 10
hours or so--period--didn't matter who how or why.

You need to get it registered first.  That is just a paperwork drill.   The
FAA will register a lawnmower as an airplane...they don't care about that
step regards what you have accomplished.

Then when you think the airplane is done, you get a hold of a DAR and talk
to him for a while.  Just visit on the phone.   Find out what he wants to
see, what he wants you to show him.  You show the DAR your registration, and
construction logs, and he does the inspection.  Then in a week or so he
comes back with a bunch of typed up papers that will be your airworthiness
cert, and the restrictions for your phase one fly off.  THAT is what makes
your pile of parts into an airplane.

If you want to define your own fly off airspace...make a map for him.

Terry