REFLECTOR: Franklin Cylinder Removal

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sat Jan 10 16:04:54 CST 2009

Kurt, Larry,  Thanks for the help.  Maybe the initial low pressure was due
to a stuck valve.  None of the bottom plugs had any oil.  However the EI
powers them and maybe the stronger spark burns the oil off.  2 of the plugs had
a light brown gray color which I understand is what it should be.  The rest,
including the one in question (#2) were almost black.  Also, center electrode of
the #2 plug was half eaten away.  The rest were fine.  The oil consumption has
gone from a quart every 3 hours to one every 2.  Also the soot on the prop is
darker, almost black.  Today I cleaned the engine so I can check for oil leaks.
I ran it for a few minutes and got 2 leaks from 2 of the bolts that hold the oil
pan on.  I removed the bolts and put some high temp silicone on them.  Guess I'll
fly it a little and look for more leaks.

John