REFLECTOR: Best way to secure piano hinge wire

Dennis Martin dennis.doc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 11:00:51 CST 2009

Kurt,

Thanks for doing the research on securing the hinge wires. The wire for the
top cowl is simple. I brazed a 3" pencil size steel rod to the bottom of
each wire that fits into my drill chuck. Now the wire's much easier to
remove and install than putting the wire into the chuck. I secure the pencil
rod in the wing root with a small steel tab.

We got the header welding done yesterday. One pipe was 1/8" from the right
side aileron bell crank, so now it's 1.5". That same pipe also vibrated
loose at the flange. I have tabs welded down low near the bottom of the
collector, but never got to securing it. Bad idea. I'll attach those tabs to
the PSRU and use some kind of shock absorber to dampen the vibration.

My pipes come out the bottom of the cowl, so yesterday morning I also
finished sanding the balloon on the fairings. It's almost ready for primer
and it's starting to look pretty cool. My next task is to finish securing
the wire controls for the heater box in the nose and hooking up a scat tube
to the keel where my heater dumps hot air into the cabin. While I'm at this,
I'll also install the new shock absorber for the nose gear.

Sounds like we're both motivated - the light at the end of the tunnel is
getting brighter by the week.

Keep in touch,
Dennis

--