REFLECTOR: Aileron control stick pound pull

Jeff Howell jeffreyhowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:56:28 CST 2009

I just installed my cables and I have alot of friction as well. probably more than 2 pounds... My cables are also 90" long wich is considerably longer than the 54" useing currently. thanx Jeff > From: sbakr at comcast.net> To: reflector at tvbf.org> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 08:05:11 -0500> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron control stick pound pull> > Hello Andy,> Confirm the ailerons have freedom of movement with the cables disconnected. > Make sure the foam core does not interefer with the 6' long aileron torque > tube inside the wing.> The aileron push-pull cables will have more internal friction when they are > new. The tightness of the dust caps contributes to this. The friction > caused by the dust caps will become less over time. When routing the > push-pull cables, make as wide a bend as possible when turning the cables > from the whale tale through the firewall. Too tight of a radius will cause > internal friction.> Note that stick force feel is different in the air than on the ground. > Depending upon the tightness of the ailron trim spring, the ailerons can > feel somewhat stiff on the ground - but feel great during flight.> My advise not to worry about the 2# aileron stick force for now. Fly the > aircraft and fine tune your determinations. The aileron control motion of > the stick should be smooth - no binding action.> Happy New Year!> Scott B.> > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Andrew Ellzey" <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>> Cc: <scottb at velocityaircraft.com>> Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 5:22 PM> Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron control stick pound pull> > > I just completed rigging my aileron's and would like to know what pound pull > should be expected on the control stick. Using a cheep fish scale for a pull > gage I am getting about a 2lb pull needed for the first 1 inch of aileron > travel and then a gradual increase to about 4lbs for full deflection. I have > an XLRG with the cut down keel mod so my bell cranks are rigged accordingly > (Velocity XL-5 Rigging). The 2lb pull is the best that I have been able to > achieve and haven't lubed anything yet. It seems to me that the push pull > cables should have been shorter to reduce the radius of the bend as it > travels through the gear bulkheads. My push pull cables are 60 inches long. > Was I supposed to receive shorter cables with the cut down keel mod? Is > there anyone on the reflector with the -5 option that hasn't installed their > push pull aileron cables that could measure their cables?> > The manual calls for white grease under the rubber cups, has anyone found > anything better? And yes, I reamed my rubber cups to reduce or completely > eliminate any drag from the rubber wipers of the cups. I know that some say > to completely remove the inboard cups, but if you do this the plastic guide > that is under the cups doesn't stay in place without the cups to hold them.> > I took the factory demo ride before I bought my kit in 2005, and I don't > remember the aileron pull to be this stiff. What I remember was a very light > touch needed to fly the factory XLRG.> > Andy Ellzey> XLRG> > _______________________________________________> To change your email address, visit > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html > > _______________________________________________> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html