REFLECTOR: trip

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Jan 2 09:13:28 CST 2009

Kurt does have a nice south facing hanger door that turns his hanger
into a nice solar collector on a sunny day.  And Belen is about 3,000 ft
lower in elevation that Grants.  I'd say theres a 10-15 degree
temperature differential on most days.

My hanger, 65 miles west of Kurt is a different story.  My spot out of 8
planes is next to the southeast facing door, one of two prime locations
next to the door as we do enjoy the sun(if she's shining) for most of
the day, the northwest door(other side) is a d*** ice burg all winter
matter how much sun or warm it gets in the winter. I R&R'd an engine in
my old Bonanza in Feb of 2000 on that side, wow was it cold! :-)
Another good thing about the southeast side is the snow & ice melt and
evaporate in front of that door.  I'm flying a crew change to Carlsbad
this afternoon and that 210 is parked just inside the north facing door.
  Dragging that beast over 10 to 20 ft of partially melted ice and snow
in front of the door can be  comical to those watching!  But getting it
back in is the scary part as the ice turns steering into 90% prayer!

I had the wife in the hanger a couple days ago. Doing the initial fit
and installation of the wings after a complete down to the fiberglass,
refill and repaint job.  Thats lots of lifting, wiggling, peering for
whats hanging things up, etc...  While the wing is delicately balanced
on a couple of precariously high stacks of 2x4's on top of saw horses..

I thought it would be OK in the hanger that day. We had accomplished a
couple hour cleanup the day before and it was pleasant with the door
open and the sun shining in. But today the 45 degree breeze was blowing
right in the door and sucking every spare BTU right out of us! After
watching me grumble, wiggle, mumble, wiggle, scrutinize the wing to
fuselage mating areas for more for  20 minutes as I attempted to figure
out what was stopping the wing from sliding that last 1/8 of an inch
into position she announced she was going to sit in the car, the running
car with the heater on high!

I persevered for another 10 minutes, until I realized I had left my file
set at home and was loosing the feeling in my hands!!

Oh well,  another winter of fits and starts of work on the plane.

Scott