REFLECTOR: Closer look

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Feb 26 00:51:20 CST 2009

Ron;

Sorry; I didn't open the drawing you attached yesterday - I quit when my
computer locked up opening the link to EFdyn. Don't know why - it worked
today.

The reason I couldn't envision a mounting scheme is a very different fork
configuration.  On the RG fork (see photo) the bottom of the gear leg tube
and nut are very close to the tire.  No room there to mount the torsional
damper. Apparently the FG is quite different.

Based on the drag it takes to prevent shimmy on the stock configuration, I'd
guess you'd need a damper with torsional resistance of at least a few ft-lbs
at a rate of maybe 50+ rad/sec.  And the key word is guess. If you could
find something in that range that would fit your configuration it would
certainly be worth investigating.  (Maybe you could fill it with corn-starch
and water):-).

Al