REFLECTOR: engine cooling

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 12:58:51 CST 2009

I've been flying without a spinner, mostly so I could keep an eye on things, but also because I'm not convinced the spinner helps that much on a pusher.  I plan on  checking top end speed with and without the spinner. (I've got one of those Klaus Sevier pointy spinners.)

But my cylinder temperatures and oil temperature are high and I want to bring them down before I do much testing. Does anybody think that adding the spinner will improve cooling airflow in the cowl? I have a 2-blade fixed pitch prop.

I built an aluminum baffle fence around the top of my IOX-360 and have the two big NACA scoops on the top of fuselage. I know the factory plenum works well; I built the baffles so that I would be able to see the electronic ignition coils and fuel injection on top of the engine when I removed the cowl. Now I would gladly trade that benefit for a cooler engine, but before I rip it all out and install the plenum I was wondering if maybe I should stick the spinner on first and see if it helps.

Doug Holub
Standard FG