REFLECTOR: roll trim

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Feb 20 20:31:06 CST 2009

Doug;

Make sure your roll trim is centered.

If the rudders and tipsails (a.k.a. winglets) are properly aligned, and you
don't have asymmetric drag (like a big scoop on one side); then some shim
washers on the wing bolts are likely in order. Increase AOA on the right;
decrease on the left. I'd suggest having material about .030", and then it's
trial and error.

A straightedge on the outboard side of the winglet/rudder should show a
slight concavity; and should be the same on both sides. If so, also check
that the straightedge makes the same angle to the fuselage centerline on
both sides (that's a little more difficult).  A slight misalignment in
rudder or tipsail can be corrected by shimming a rudder outward - shim on
the inboard edge. Any asymmetric drag can be handled the same way; shim the
rudder opposite the drag.

Good luck,

Al