REFLECTOR: roll trim

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 20:30:03 CST 2009

Doug
   You did not mention if the ball is centered?? Center the ball  by
adjusting the rudders and then work on shimming the wings to get the ailerons  equal.
Shimming the rudders is easy temporarily gluing a pop cycle stick to  hold one
of the rudder out farther will give you a idea of how much it  needs. Be
careful not to move the rudder in, at least to much, because if you  hide the
rudder behind the winglet you have a better chance of rudder flutter.  Once the
ball is centered the plane should fly straight with no roll  tendency's but the
ailerons may be different, left to right, in straight and  level flight.
Shimming the wings, leading edge up on one side and down on the  other, with a shim
in between the center spar and the wing spar (on the outboard  bolts). A
piece of aluminum .023 is what I have been using. Shimming both wings  moved the
ailerons about .25 measured on the inboard side of the  aileron. You do not
need to shim both wings and/or the same amount.  Equaling the ailerons picked up
about 4 knots. Good Luck

    Ken

In a message dated 2/20/2009 8:18:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,