REFLECTOR: shimmy

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 09:41:16 CST 2009

From: "David Ullman" <ullman at robustdecisions.com>

> Sid, thanks for the plot showing the two types of friction.  The drag
> force
> shown on the plot is measured where?  Is it at the axel, parallel to the
> center line or ??  Also how did you get these values?

David, the "data"  (Drag data_c10 (1).jpg) from my previous message is not
"hard data" but simply an aid to allow one to visualize the general trend of
the drag (damping) exhibited by the two methods.
After seeing the setup with the fish scale, I believe you can appreciate the
difficulty trying to pull with some constant rate in an arc while keeping
the pull vector orthogonal  to the aluminum bar.
For each condition, I just pulled and observed the scale and wrote down a
value.  After several pulls, even tho the data values had a lot of scatter,
the trend was apparent and that is what I plotted.

Sid

member DNA (National Dyslexia Association )