REFLECTOR: FW: GPS for IFR

David Staten david.staten at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:24:36 CST 2009

You can use a Non IFR GPS to help maintain situational awareness.

Like.. you have a VOR, ILS and NDB in your plane, and a handheld GPS.

With a non-IFR GPS
You cannot file /G.
You cannot accept GPS approach clearances.
You cannot LEGALLY use the GPS device in lieu of the primary equipment -
i.e. it must be working, not disabled.
You cannot LEGALLY use the GPS device in lieu of DME if the DME is
required equipment for the approach you are cleared on.

You CAN use the non IFR GPS to help keep you heading towards the NDB, on
the approach centerline, navigating over fixes, markers and whatever
else while you use the VOR, ILS, NDB etc as your "primary means of
navigation"

An IFR GPS automatically increases the sensitivity of the display from 1
mile = 1 dot in non approach airspace to 1 dot = 0.3 miles in the
terminal end of the approach. Any gps can be adjusted, but the IFR ones
do this as you progress down the approach

You must have an annunciator or GPS display on or near the centerline of
your field of view (in the 6 pack, essentially) that indicates whether
GPS is armed or in approach mode, and the database must be up to date.

I may have missed something because I'm running off memory here, but was
at one point assisting with Chris Barber's build, and had acquired a
King KNS 89B IFR capable GPS and had obtained the hardware to make it an
IFR legal and capable installation..