REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 16:43:03 CST 2009

I agree with everything Al says in this message.
The nose wheel fork rotational tension should be checked before every flight.
For most this involves manually lifting the nose off the ground and while doing so, standing on one foot, using the free foot to push the rear portion of the fork to 'test' the tension.
As aircraft nose weights become heavier, and the lifting strength of pilot/owners becomes weaker - its easy to see why the nose fork tension is not checked as often as it should.
The liklihood of shimmey is much greater when the turning force on the nose fork is weak.  Nose fork shimmey should not come as a surprise to those who last checked the nose fork tension at the last Conditional Inspection.  A better shimmey dampener (better mouse trap) is preferred.  I like Richard Vandersteen's set up.  Many people like Ken Mishler's immobilizer set up.  Developing a better shimmey dampener is on Velocity's list of things to do.
Scott Baker