REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 15:57:10 CST 2009

After this last post (So many negative words) I  thought I might need to
inform some as to the operation of the nose lock.  It was designed not as a shimmy
damper but to keep the wheel pant straight in  flight. A wheel pant, even at
a slight angle, will alter level flight  and cruise speeds. The side effect of
the lock, is that it stops the front  wheel/tire assembly from starting the
oscillation that becomes the shimmy that  some of us know so well. The lock is
engaged when lined up with the  runway for take off. Steering is not a problem
on take off roll and does not  give you the over steer that you get with
factory set up. The lock remains  engaged for entire flight including the landing.
The mains are supposed to touch  first on a landing and will straighten the
plane before the nose ever  touches. (Anyone landing nose gear first will have
other problems  besides a shimmy). Disengage the lock when down to taxi speeds
and  turning becomes normal. Turning can be made easier by loosening the
tension  nut, just Don't forget to engage lock for flight. CHECKLIST!
    The operation does require pilot to engage and disengage  at the proper
times. Similar to putting the gear up or down. Failure to put  the gear down
usually ends up with a bad outcome. Failure to disengage the lock  should not
hurt anything. I have gone through several tests trying to break  these parts.
In the severest case the lock should break it's mounting  screws according to
computer generated stress analysis. If it's any  stronger it breaks the gear
leg-any weaker and it just keeps breaking  off.  It's a fine line for sure.
    Approximately 45 locks were sold, I don't know  how many are flying?
There have been 2 failures both of which were failure to  disengage for taxing
which led to other issues after the initial problem.  Taking the pilot out of the
loop would require a automatic engagement and make  the system way
complicated. The lock was only designed as a band aid for a  problem that some of us
already have. If anyone comes up with a better mouse  trap, I'm all for it.
Weight and looks were also important to me in the  design.
   Some specs for anyone who cares. On a retract model, with the  lock
disengaged, the nose gear is full castoring as it is now. On a fixed  gear, the
wheel pant limits the gear to 60 degrees in each direction (120  total). On a SE,
This angle will let you turn a 180 on a 17ft wide  taxiway. Turning that hard
pivots on the inside main tire without it  even turning.

    Ken Mishler
    N2087M SUV FG 200hp 750hrs
    N173EX 173 SE RG 300hp 165hrs
    N872KM XLRG-5 Turbo 300hp Still Under Construction

    Things I don't do never seem to get done???   :)

In a message dated 2/19/2009 1:33:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,