REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Feb 19 11:00:06 CST 2009

. It seems the answer usually goes to set the tension on the front wheel to
14 lbs of

pull or something like that and you should not have a problem. Is this not
true? I have heard that this should be on the preflight check list. Does
this number change and really need to be adjusted regularly?

Ron;

My take is that, with perhaps a few exceptions, if you keep the 14# tension
on the wheel pivot, it will not shimmy.  I found the during the first 20-30
hrs of flying time the tension did slowly change; depending on the number of
takeoffs and landings. Now I find it changes very little, but I check it
about every dozen landings.  A couple times a year I remove the wheel
assembly and clean and re-grease. I use 12# tension, and it works fine.

Or perhaps  there are people that feel that there is a better mouse trap out

there and are working toward a simpler/ better design for the front wheel
which is great. So is there a steering Issue?

Yes; we're looking for a better mouse trap; because, although not a serious
steering issue; it is an annoyance.  If you are starting from a stop, and
the wheel is turned in a direction you don't want to go, it takes a lot of
power to get the wheel to turn, and then it is likely to over-steer. Best
make sure the wheel is pointed in the right direction before getting in the
plane; or get out and do it if you're already in. Slow speed taxi with turns
requires an excess of power to overcome the braking needed to steer.

You get used to it, but life taxing would certainly be more pleasant if the
damn wheel turned easier.

Al