REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 23:56:25 CST 2009

From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Sid,
> Can you give an update on the damper? Working well?

Working great.  Never a hint of shimmy.  The big nut is tight only enough to
take up any slack.  With damper disconnected, completely free of friction.

> How many landings on the system?

Several dozen since install in Spring of 2006.

> Did you ever put external stops on it so the damper wouldn't bottom out?

No.  I can make the sharp 120 degree turn on the narrow taxiway leading to
my ramp no problem.

> Ever miss not having a fulling castoring nose wheel?
> Scott

Not yet.  I simply pick up the nose and walk it around if needed.  With no
passenger(s) inside of course... its too heavy for me otherwise.  Pushing
backwards is easier too without the tendency for the wheel to caster around
backwards.

Sid