REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 12:01:13 CST 2009

David;

A few years ago I also took a close look at the shimmy issue; although
perhaps with less expertise than you.  One of my first conclusions was that
the flat profile tire was indeed a worst case.  Shortly thereafter I spoke
with another Velo RG driver who used a round profile nose tire who found
that he still had to maintain pivot drag, although a bit less, in order to
avoid shimmy.  But I'm guessing it is a step in the right direction.

My further analysis later led me to believe that the issue is quite closely
related to flutter of an airfoil, and that the key would be to 'balance' the
nose wheel assembly around its pivot axis.  I even went so far as to
determine the required mass and the distance from the pivot to the 'center
of mass' required.  For my plane (RG, so no wheel pant) it would be 3.7# at
3 1/8".  I proceeded to determine the dimension and support for a lead
weight to do the job.  It's a relative small piece of lead.

That's as far as it went. I haven't taken the time to pursue it - one reason
being I'm hesitant to take the risk of doing it and testing it.  I recall
another builder had tried the concept with bad results; but I'm not sure he
chose the weight for proper 'balance'; without which it could exacerbate the
issue.

Perhaps you (or anyone) could lend your knowledge of dynamics to support or
debunk this idea.  Perhaps a combination of this and a round profile tire
could allow minimal pivot drag, no required pilot operation, and full
articulation of the wheel.

I learned (inadvertently) that when the pivot drag on my plane got less than
about 10# I got shimmy that did not cause damage - so I keep it at about
12-14#. Definitely a nuisance for low speed taxi.

Al