REFLECTOR: FW: GPS for IFR

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Feb 16 17:44:37 CST 2009

aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
> If my GPS is not approved,
> can I fly IFR with it, or only if the VOR is not working?  I'm looking

No, as somebody mentioned the GPS unit must be TSO'd for IFR use, there
are two TSO's one for enroute, and one for approach or terminal.

It must also be installed per FAA regulations, which have to do with
switches required, primary display position, POH supplement, etc...

The database does not have to be current, but you must have current data
 on board for your en route and approach phase of flight.   The data
requirement will actually depend on the wording used in your POH supplement.

Scott