REFLECTOR: wheel shimmy

cgputney at peoplepc.com cgputney at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 16 14:00:48 CST 2009

Dave, my dynamics book addresses shimmy and touts a solution using TWO nose
tires locked together.   The differential scrubing damps the oscillation.
I modeled our nose gear in a rigid body kinematic program at work using a
single point center contact and it shimmied.   Applying a two pound, tuned,
dynamic absorber eliminated the shimmy, but only if I ignored the strut
flexibility.   I'm back to locking the nose gear!
Gordon Putney