REFLECTOR: Got My Transition Training

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Feb 16 11:48:28 CST 2009

Nice recap on the factory training Brian.

I had a different instructor but gave the same high marks for
professionalism and completeness.  The training is well worth the cost.

I finished my training on a Tuesday, on Thursday started my journey in
my "new to me" Velocity from Valkaria(5 north of Sabastian) to Grants,
NM! I did make 4 flights on Wednesday to shake down the airplane.

It had been wrecked and then parked for 5 years at Valkaria. Me and a
Velocity A&P I hired worked for a week and a half, repairing and
performing a yearly inspection, to get it in shape for a ferry flight
back to NM.

What a flight!

The biggest surprises on the trip back was an inoperative transponder,
malfunctioning VOR(the gps was DOA) and cabin air leaks that completely
overwhelmed the heater in February. I ended up doing dead reckoning
flights all the way back!  Also had to climb to 15500 for 10 minutes at
one point to stay above icing clouds, needless to say it was 15 degrees
in the cabin, and no oxygen.  I came down with the flu during the
flight(the cabin temp didn't help)  and during a 1 hour episode of
continuous moderate to sever turbulence over Oklahoma and eastern New
Mexico I ended up with a really bad case of air sickness, puked in my
hat(no sick sac) and landed at Tucumcari in a 45 knot cross wind! At
that point I didn't care how much damage I did to the airplane, I wanted
to be "On the ground!". I didn't have enough rudder to even come close
to slipping it in(I know not recommended), so it was my first experience
of landing the V with about a 30 degree crab to the runway centerline.
One of the smoothest landings I've ever made in it! I was so sick and
737's were reporting MOD to SEV turb climbing out over ABQ I elected to
spend the night in Tucumcari.  On my last leg from there to Grants I
neglected to retract the belly speed brake.  I experienced anemic climb
rate, and a curious vibration accelerating through 130 KIAS!  With an
elevated sense of urgency I was executing a quick 180 back to the
airport when I noticed the brake toggle in the extended(down) position.
  I flipped it up and "ZOOM" the airplane immediately accelerated and
the vibration stopped.  Continued the turn into a 360 degree turn and
had a beautiful early morning one hour flight to Grants.

Looks like your on the right road for a successful first flight of your V.

Scott