REFLECTOR: Cruise Mystery

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Feb 15 12:09:03 CST 2009

Chuck,

I would say you experianced a classic wave.  Ussually brought on by
strong winds over a mountain range.  There are areas in the 4 corner
states(NM, AZ, UT, CO) that seem to have them all the time, unless its
dead calm. The Rocky's and the Sierra's are notorious though local
ranges can generate just as pronounced waves.

That you experienced a less severe wave further on and a similar
phenomenon on the way back confirms the wave. If your flying 90 degrees
to the wave, you can expect them to decrease or increase as you go
towards or away from the source.  Kinduv like a pebble thrown into a
pond, they start strong and weaken as get get further from the source.
Sometimes atmospheric lows or highs in combination with a jet stream can
induce a wave action with no orographic influence!

I have seen 40-50 knot reductions and or increases in IAS if you hold
altitude. YOu can fly them the other way and hold airspeed and let your
altitude change those this can be even more disconcerting.

I don't think anything was wrong with your engine.

Scott