REFLECTOR: Oxygen systems

Kent Murley im at theaerodro.me
Sat Feb 14 17:39:24 CST 2009

Dennis -

My experience is with the Mountain High system. I think they have an
updated version but even my original version EDS On Demand pulse
system works great.

I got a mask and cannula for each EDS but you really don't need the
mask until above 18K. I usually fly under 14K feet where it's warmer
anyway. The cannulae work fine though an extra foot of tubing would be
nice between me and the tank hanging on the back of the front
passenger seat.

I $plurged and bought the lightweight 22 cubic foot Kevlar wrapped
tank and think it was well worth it. With the EDS it lasts many trips
for 1 or 2 people but if you haul 3 or 4 people all the time it might
only last one long trip. Everyone is amazed at how light weight it is.

I set my EDS to turn on as I climb through 5K feet. The pulses are
very short that low. Up at 14K the pulses are still less than half a
second while your total inhale is about 2-3 seconds. That saves so
much air.

Aviation O2 and welding O2 is the same but its almost impossible to
get a welding shop to fill your tank because they've been warned about
liability issues in the past from aviators and divers. Just don't use
medical grade O2 because that has water vapor added to it (to keep
patient's lungs moist) and water vapor at altitude could freeze your
regulator.

Kent