REFLECTOR: Sky Tec Starter

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 10 07:41:15 CST 2009

Rene-

  We have a Sky-Tec on our Cont. IO-550, so I can't answer all of your
questions.  It's a "good" starter but I don't have anything to compare it
to.  We never tried anything else.  But starting a hot fuel injected engine
has been hard on the little guy.  We have burned one up in the first year
and a half (approx. 200hrs).  Talking with Skytec they have said follow
their rules; 3 burst of 10sec each and then wait 30min.  They rebuilt it for
a couple hundred.  We have #2 gauge wire running to it and a Odyssey battery
and it sees less than a volt drop so I believe the ship is providing the
best it can but they admit that it's a lot of heat to dissipate for the
little guy.  It only weighs 8lbs.  They said they are working on
improvements but said it will probably need to be rebuilt after two years.
This was a year and 150hrs ago.  Still turning fine.  Cold starts are a no
brainier.  The hot starts is where we havn't quite perfected it.

Craig

XL-5FG Flying in Lancaster, CA

  _____