REFLECTOR: To M.T. or Aerocomposite ... That Is The Question ???

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Mon Feb 2 21:01:46 CST 2009

I'm very happy with my Aerocomposites prop.  From all I can remember the MT
is just a wood prop with a very thin layer of fiberglass over it.  The
blades are attached to the roots with woodscrews.  I know I've never heard
of an MT loosing a blade but the cutaway of that blade to root interface I
saw did not impress me.  The other thing that turned me off from MT was the
typical European customer service we all heard about.  I deal with many
European companies and they all have horrible customer service.

The Aerocomposites prop is a true composite prop.  It is fiberglass and
carbon fiber over a foam core.  The fiberglass is woven into "socks" that
are slid over the core and wrapped around a steel root.  It looks
unbelievably strong which, I believe, leads to better performance.

I too had the problem with blades sticking at high pitch in warmer weather.
Aerocomposites paid to have it shipped back from Wisconsin to California for
a rebuild.  I got it back in a few weeks and it has been bulletproof ever
since.  I can't imagine getting that kind of service from MT.

John, Glad to hear your prop is running well too.

Darrell Kufalk
XL-RG about 75 hours on it so far.