REFLECTOR: Seat Belts

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Mon Aug 31 11:30:17 CDT 2009

I talked with the air bag seat belt company at Oshkosh. He said that they only support
certified aircraft right now, and if/when they did start to cover the experimental market,
they would only support the location/design that the factory would recommend. They were
also quite pricey, well over $1,000 apiece. (I don't know exactly, because I had stopped
really listening at that point!)

I asked if I could just buy some that they carry for other planes and modify my support
locations to match. He said they won't do that since the location of the airbag is critical
and the liability to them is high if they are installed incorrectly.

I did ask him if the four point restraint was much better than the standard car three
point restraint, and he said there were several studies that he had seen that showed that
the four point restraint was really not significantly better at helping survival rates.
I don't know if that is true...but I don't see why he would fib at that point, since I was
no longer a potential customer.

Jack Prock