REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Aug 29 11:57:22 CDT 2009

Anybody flying with aileron gap seals?  Notice a great improvement in

climb and responsiveness?

Scott;

I have flown with the gap seal on, off, on again; and find no detectable
difference.  I suppose it depends on whether there is much of a gap in the
first place.

He's using the zig-zag tap in front of the rudders and says it more than

doubled the effectiveness of them at low speeds.  No noticeable

reduction in cruise.   Said he saw them on Klaus S. EZ.

Double the effectiveness sounds like too big a change to be true.  OTOH; I
have never really felt that I had a lack of rudder response - but I guess
I've managed to avoid landing in strong cross winds.

He also said the trailing edge fences were a dramatic improvement with

no cruise speed penalty.

I have a fence on the in-board end of the aileron.  I can't tell you how
much difference it makes because I put them on before ever flying.  I had
seen enough tuff-test info on EZs, and observed oil drop tracks on Velocity,
to know there is span-wise flow under flow separation at high angles of
attack. A fence could only help, and give better aileron authority at low
speeds.

Al