REFLECTOR: Fuel Consumption Performance

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Aug 27 21:24:01 CDT 2009

Terry;

Good numbers.  They are a bit lower than you previously reported, and right
in line with what I get with my rotary.

There was some discussion awhile back on another list about slowing down and
reducing the cost of flying.  I'm thinking- wait a minute; one of the
reasons I have an airplane is to go fast.  I can make a 500 nm leg on about
28.0 gals of fuel at 170 KTAS.  If I slow down to 150 I can save about 1
gal, and take over 20 minutes longer.  The cost of that gas (especially
mogas at $3.00) is completely negligible compared to the overall cost of
having an airplane.  I think I'll start flying at 190 :-).

Al