REFLECTOR: Status

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Aug 26 15:31:34 CDT 2009

I would like to share some experience on my electronics installation.

I went with an Autronic, which is automotive based, and fraught with
it's own particular issues. The main difference being the distance from
battery to high current components.

The schematics all show injectors, coil packs and the ECU all powered
off a common power wire.
THIS IS NOT OPTIMAL, no matter how much they tell you to not mess with
their supplied harness. If I recall correctly, even the SDSEFI guys who
fly RV's also share the power wire.

The proper way to power an ECU is with its power separate from injectors
and coils. If you have external coil modules, like I do, those also need
to be powered off ECU power. My first testing with a harness revealed
that the coil packs and coil modules would pull voltage below five
volts, causing spurious firing on the plugs. Moving the coil module
power to a clean ECU power source let them perform properly, not being
influenced by the huge drop in power going to the coil packs. Low
voltage on the coils is not a big issue. The Bosch modules I'm using
have automatic dwell based on RPM. At low RPM, dwell is increased
causing a bigger drain on the power.

Long story short: separate ECU power from high load devices. Same with
grounds too.
It's the same philosophy with sensor/signal power and their grounds.