REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep

Brent Bourgeois bjb3013 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 08:27:16 CDT 2009

Brett,
I recently had a similar problem when painting a ram air scoop. I flew for many months with exhaust gas and oil finding its way into the pinholes and voids. I degreased with Simple Green, blasted with the hose and sanded several times. I went to the hobby shop and purchased 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth and used this as a top coat. Glassing eliminates pin holes and seals in any oil residue and provides a perfect new surface to paint. With gentle sanding, 1 light coat of primer is all that it takes to prep for paint.

Brent
Velocity Std Rg
N61VB