REFLECTOR: Oil removal for paint prep

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 23:43:37 CDT 2009

Brett,

I used simple Green concentrate mixed with water and a fine scotch brite pad or 400 grit or finer wet/dry sandpaper to clean my wings. This removes any dust, dirt, over-spray and oils from your finish, and the fine sanding prepares the surface with very fine scratches for the paint to bond too. You can feel if your surface is smooth under the scotch brite pad. Rinse with lots of water. During the rinse you can tell if you have any oil residue, If your part is clean the water will flow off in an continuous sheet of water. If you have any oil contaminate left the water will bead up or flow around that area. After cleaning I used a squeegee to get the majority of the water off and let them dry in the sun. I then carried them into my paint booth and let them set over night with the air conditioning running all night to remove any humidity from my shop. I used Awl grip 545 epoxy primer and didn't have a single fish eye. I have painted several aircraft,
 and this method has never failed me yet.

If I need to clean a small area, I will use the recommended solvent or the recommended paint thinner, called out by the paint manufacturer. The key here is to pore what solvent you think you will use in a clean plastic container. It is also recomended to use plain white or unbleached paper towles, not rags. Some rags that are synthetic can start to break down and leave a plastic residue on your nice clean surface. Do not place your paper towel to the spout of the solvent container, whatever was on the paper towel is now in your solvent container, and will now be on every future paper towel that you thought was clean. Each time you go for more solvent from your container, use a new clean paper towel. Use another clean rag to wipe off the area that you just cleaned before it dries.

Andy Ellzey