REFLECTOR: New Dynon Skyview EFIS

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 24 18:15:37 CDT 2009

Dennis,

I have a D10A and I really like it.  Very reliable.  I also have the heated pitot, remote compass, and backup battery.  Lots of free software upgrades have really improved functionality.  Support has been excellent on production products.

However, I'm not always impressed with Dynon.  It took them three years to develop the heated pitot after it was announced.  They announced an autopilot interface that would be useful for IFR, the AP-76, then dropped it.  They don't support GPS Steering on my GX-60 (it's too old!).  They don't have an upgrade path for the current equipment, only a trade in offer.  Check out the Dynon support forums and you'll find others who are not happy about these and other things.

Unfortunately, they seem to be continuing this trend.  The new EFIS looks great, but think about all of the components you need to make it work.  What GPS will you use with it and how will it interface?  Want GPS Steering?  With Dynon you need a ARINC 429 interface module, and the current model doesn't work with the new EFIS.  The new one is in development, but not for the initial release.  Want XP Weather?  Maybe someday.  ADS-B?  Not in the initial release.

Bottom line: I count on the Dynon equipment I have, but never on the equipment they plan to release.

Regards,
Glenn Babcock
N697RG
www.lakenormanairpark.org