REFLECTOR: Electroair ignition

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 13:24:58 CDT 2009

I am in the process of designing my electrical system, this is the reason that I am weighting my options. I am also using the standard heavy prestolite 12V starter so the low voltage issue shouldn't be less of an issue. I am also sizing my ground and starter wiring to minimize this issue. I am also designing my system with a second battery and using a schottky diode to isolate my avionics from the main battery during the engine start. This design would also power the Electroair system from the Aux battery during the start sequence. From what I read on their web site, it seems that their system retards the spark just like my original Bendix vibrator was designed to do. This Bendix original design also grounded the second mag and used only the single retarded mag to start the aircraft. According to their web site the Electroair start timing is close to 0 degree TDC. This should minimize any kickback issues. I am thinking of  only using the Electroair
 to start my engine and ground the second mag just like the original design.

By not buying the required keyed starter mag switch and a new Bendix Vibrator, I can almost pay for the Electroair system and get the advantages of variable timing and fuel savings for my aircraft.

Andy Ellzey