REFLECTOR: Leaning at High DA Airports; was Re: Static RPM Question

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Aug 18 17:05:23 CDT 2009

Never ever forget to lean a non-turbo charged airplane at high density
altitude airports!!  We have two crashes at GNT in 10 years that
probably would not have happened if the pilots had leaned the engine.

I was there for one and kept thinking "Lean it out! Lean it out!" but he
crashed instead.  The engine will run like SHIT, if you don't!

In the summer afternoons in northern NM, just about every airport is
above 8,000 DA, and some like GNT are pushing 10,000.  The DA is so high
you can't hurt the engine with full power and lean to max RPM, because
the engine is making way less than 75% power.

If your a bit paranoid about it or DA is 6-8K, lean to best RPM, then
richen to get about 25-50 RPM drop., no more than that though.  Once
your 500-1000 above ground level you can richen the mixture some to get
some cooling if you need it. Better yet go to 75 LOP and get your
cooling that way!

Scott