REFLECTOR: Static RPM Question

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 12:50:16 CDT 2009

John,??

Yes, it will change if you are not turbocharged. The amount will depend on if you have a constant speed prop or not.

My experience is that higher density altitude will cause more of a RPM drop on a fixed pitch prop.

For normally aspirated engines, a rough calculation of effect on engine HP is 3% loss of horsepower for every 1000' of density altitude. So, by the book, a 10,000' density altitude takeoff would be operating on about 70% of the horsepower you would have at sea level. Humidity makes a difference as well, but I use the 3%/1000' rule of thumb.

One of the best consistent tables that I have used for density altitude effects on takeoff/climb is a Koch Chart.

Take your normal takeoff/climb numbers & adjust acording to the chart. I have found it to be very accurate.

Kurt Winker